Sunday, May 16, 2010

Change of Plan

My team and I were supposed to be here in Hopkinton for the the rest of the week and then move back to Vinton and commute to work in Cedar Rapids for the next three weeks. However, last night we found that we were being reassigned to go help with disaster relief. Disaster relief projects are kind of the dream job for NCCCers- not that we hope disasters happen, just that if they do, we hope that we will be the team that gets sent. So tomorrow, we will hurriedly cram a weeks worth of work into one day and tie up as many loose ends as possible. Tuesday morning we will head back to Vinton and by early Wednesday morning we will be on our way to Kentucky. We assume it will be mucking and gutting, but at this point all we know is that we are going to Mercer County in the wake of terrible flooding and will be there for at least two weeks and hopefully less than a month. Don't know a town, don't know where we're living, don't know the duration, don't know the state of things. Kind of exciting, huh? I was really looking forward to those three weeks of living on campus in my very own room, but I'm sure this work will be both challenging and hugely rewarding. I've never been to that part of the country and I'm excited to get to experience it...just wish it was under different circumstances. But yay, I'm off to save the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment