"I do not know how to build an entire house. But if you tell me where you need a nail, I can hammer it in. If you tell me where you need the scaffold, I can move it. If you tell me that the seams need to be taped, I can tape them.
Whenever there is one person with a vision, one person with some know how, and a handful of people with a desire to help, it is amazing what can be accomplished. Some of us grew up playing with tools, some of us have never been on a construction site, yet each time I work with Habitat I am overwhelmed at what culminates from the meager skills and experiences that each individual brings. At the end of the day when I step back and see the progress we have made I no longer think about the aching muscles and the blisters suddenly don’t seem so bad. I simply look at the tangible result of our collective efforts and smile. I smile because I know that I have learned new skills and have grown as an individual. I smile because I know that together we have accomplished what none of us could on our own. I smile, because there in front of me is the real and lasting manifestation of what started out as a simple desire to help and I am reminded that as long as we are willing to give whatever we have to offer, we will make a positive difference in the world around us."
So there’s that. Monday we went as a team to debrief with the unit leader and program directors. It’s supposed to be kind of formal and we take turns presenting the general information about our project and give a report about our specific rep roles. Hmmm, not sure I’ve explained those yet. Everyone has additional responsibilities within the team. Some examples are service learning initiator, project outreach liaison, media liaison, peer helper, photographer, and a few others that slip my mind. On our team every member has a primary and a secondary role and there are two people for each of the primary roles. I got Vehicle, Safety, and Tools as my primary and Newsletter rep as my secondary. Pretty excited about that VST part. Me and the other VST are responsible for making sure the van stays in good condition, making sure all the safety standards are being met, and inventorying and inspecting any tools we are issued. So basically, I picked the only job that deals with objects instead of people. Wonder what says about me? Anyhoo, the debriefing went well and it was actually kind of nice to be forced to go over everything we did and really think about it.
Tuesday we drove to Iowa City to do a ropes course. It was just the low one, so we didn’t get to do any of the fun dangerous looking ones, but we had great time. I think we really did learn a lot about each other and how we think and communicate. We spent all day today in a “Hands of Peace” class. It was essentially about conflict resolution and how to effectively communicate. It was just our team and one other team and the facilitators did a wonderful job. After the last couple days I feel like I have a much better grasp on who our team is and I’m really hoping we can have a nice peaceful year.
Since I didn’t really have any exciting stories for you, I figure this is a good time to go ahead and give you a nice little fashion show of all the wonderfully flattering AmeriCorps garb we've been issued. They call them “non gender specific,” but I’m pretty sure that is code for “men’s.” The guys look pretty normal, maybe even borderline professional, but the girls just look frumpy and 15 pounds heavier. Oh well, they are reasonably comfortable and I don’t have to think about what to wear in the morning, so I guess I can’t really complain. Ok, here you go:
And there you have it. My six clothing options for the next 10 months. So now, if you are ever sitting around wondering what I am doing and have a general idea of what kind of weather I'm in, you shouldn't have much trouble figuring out what I'm wearing.
Love it! Your pictures made me laugh out loud. Your poses are awesome. :) You sure do rock the coveralls!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you've pretty much lost your head!
ReplyDeletei think this is so cool... have fun out there!
ReplyDelete